Monday, July 19, 2010

Don't Allow Negativity Disrupt Your Purpose

Mark 15:21-32 NKJV

The King on a Cross
21 Then they compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, as he was coming out of the country and passing by, to bear His cross. 22 And they brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is translated, Place of a Skull. 23 Then they gave Him wine mingled with myrrh to drink, but He did not take it. 24 And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take.25 Now it was the third hour, and they crucified Him. 26 And the inscription of His accusation was written above:

THE KING OF THE JEWS.
27 With Him they also crucified two robbers, one on His right and the other on His left. 28 So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And He was numbered with the transgressors.”29 And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, 30 save Yourself, and come down from the cross!”31 Likewise the chief priests also, mocking among themselves with the scribes, said, “He saved others; Himself He cannot save.32 Let the Christ, the King of Israel, descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe.”
Even those who were crucified with Him reviled Him.





The above verses are a perfect example of how people will treat us when they don't get God's vision and purpose for our lives.  They will turn against us, sometimes try to tear us down - both privately and publicly.  Some won't be able to help themselves, because they tend to follow the crowd instead of making decisions for themselves, and sometimes it's because their overall outlook on life is just negative.  They are unhappy so they will naturally try to make people miserable around them.


When I made the decision to take God at His voice and move back to California last year.  SO MANY people didn't get it.  One in particular was a friend I've known since 9th grade. We both decided to move to the East Coast, him for school - me a couple of years later for work; and he seriously called me stupid to my face (several times) for making the decision.  Not to hurt my feelings, but to change my mind because this is all he could see from his perceptive.  He thought I should keep the job I had, because I was "lucky" to have one in this economy.  And he was so against me moving back to California for reasons I didn't totally get then; but I knew he had a negative outlook on life  in general, and therefore wouldn't understand my step towards the light.


My reaction?  I didn't get mad or  into an argument.  Not because I was so far above him, but (only) because Jesus gave me the grace to understand that my friend didn't understand.  And I remember my words in response to his "name calling", it was: "I'm not going to get into an argument or try to justify my decision to you; just know, I know God has told me to do this, and I'm going to trust Him - The End."  Yes, my exact words.  I mean I had said it to so many people over those last 5 months, it was almost as automatic as the generic "Good or Fine," when someone asks "How are you?"


Since I've returned to Cali, my friend and I speak on the phone or BBM (blackberry messenger) once a month when we can, just to check in on one another.  I've been able to consistently share my ongoing testimony with him.  And let me tell you how God works, this very negative gentleman, has been my greatest supporter over all that I'm currently doing.  Even providing tips I can use in the areas he is knowledgeable about.  The first time I told him about starting my own business, I expected to hear "That's hard!  Why would you do that?"  But no, he told me "You HAVE to do it.  Don't give up!"  Crazy right!?  But I share all of this to get to more of God's glory.
I always wondered if people heard the true reason I was leaving New York.  I made it a point that I was going to be clear that it was my faith and trust in God that moved me.  It doesn't matter how miserable I was; I'm not one to make desperate decisions.  God had to tell me what to do, and when He did - I did it!  I knew I was created to make sure believers and unbelievers knew this truth, whether they understood and/or believed it, or not.  Well, read below how God works.  This is a small part of the bbm conversation I had with my friend this last Thursday:
HIM: I am happy you left! You are doing so much as soon as u left
ME: Thank God!  I remember you telling me I was stupid  hahah
HIM: I didn't really understand why u were like... I'm out!  God will be with me. I know. I take that back! Sorry! :)
ME: It's ok; I knew it wouldn't make sense to some, but I'm glad you were listening :D
HIM: Now you're making moves! That is what's up!
ME: For Real! Moves I never imagined, it's really cool.
My heart received so much joy from this conversation to receive confirmation that God was evident and receives the glory for all that I do.  My life is here to bring glory to Him; not me.  Being seduced by the Entertainment Industry for so long, it took me a while to truly get this, but now that I have it - there is no turning back.  And I in turn share this with you to encourage you to be like Jesus.  To not allow other people's remarks, opinions, and plain ole' ignorance deter you from what you KNOW God has called you to do in life.  Let's be real!  The harder we try to be in purpose, the more the distractions and the resistance against us comes.  Yet, it should not stop us.  It should not change us into reacting as the world would.  It should push us closer to God, to depend on Him, to trust in Him and to carry on in what He has called us to do.  And for those of you wondering, "what is my purpose?"  Remember first, our LORD has called us to serve Him.  This is and will always be our purpose above all else and in everything.


Is being in purpose hard for you at the moment?  Have you fallen out of purposed steps?  Don't be discouraged, be encouraged right now because God is speaking to YOU!  He is calling you to repent, listen, and with one step at a time, do what He has called you to do.  As you do, you will reach people you never thought you could reach and you will actively be a living testimony of our amazing and great GOD!   Hallelujah.  I hope this speaks to you today church.  This is your time to pray.  And if you believe this will speak into someone's life, please forward it along.


Thank You Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment