Thursday, March 19, 2009

SXSW- Day 1

So I'm in Austin for the first time in my life!  I was nervous before I got here, stepping into the unknown all by myself.  That's what I hate about traveling for work because I rather enjoy the fun stuff I get to do with people I honestly hang out with.  But this is when God shows Himself.  I had such a great time on day 1 of it all.

I landed and headed to the hotel with the most friendliest cab driver.  I tell you I get to know more strangers than anyone I know.  People tend to just talk to me.  I know she was born in Argentina, grew up in midlands, came to Austin to party and 25 years later she was still there and doesn't plan to leave. Her family worked in oil.  She owned her dodge that was the cab we were driving in, because those regular cabs were like boats for her.  She was great as my welcome to Austin.

Next, I made it to the lovely hotel.  Where everything just flowed.  No problems.  I didn't have to wait for my room even when check in was at 3p and I arrived at 12something.  And did I tell you that on the plane my card didn't work to buy 4 Christmases (a hilarious movie- I fall for Vince's characters every time!) and the flight attendant told me he would just charge me a drink.  Well when I asked about charging me for the drink at the end of the flight (I didn't want to cheat them, even though in my heart I knew he was just going to give me the movie free-but my spirit told me it was right to mention it).  And that's exactly what happened.  He said, "Don't worry about it."  I pray that he's blessed for blessing me.

Now I wasn't wearing anything special yesterday, my most comfortable airport outfit.  Leggings with boots and a loose shirt dress.  This must have been hot because I received so much attention from the men in the airport, on my flight and walking the streets of Austin.  And it was different from the type of attention I receive in New York that makes me feel gross.  It was complimentary and sort of cute because all these guys didn't know what to say.  I can't describe it.  It was interesting to experience and nice.

I didn't think it would be THIS hot in Austin.  And it's not that hot but compared to New York- it's a 100 dried heat degrees.  I had so many breaks at my hotel room as I went from show to show,  picking up badges and getting lost (of course).  Some of the bands I checked out yesterday Twin Atlantic, Chef, The Temper Trap and Fools Gold.  My fav- The Temper Tat.  They are a great dance/rock band.  Some of the celebs in the house to check them out at Dirty Dog Bar were Perez (if you call him a celebrity- he looks sickly by the way; the way you look when you're not losing the weight correctly..but who knows), Joseph Gordon Levitt (I think that's his name from 3rd Rock from the sun- he has an appeal in person), and Meiko.

I met up with some great new contacts and hopefully new friends.  And just really enjoyed myself.  I met this guy through a new friend and we hung out in the lobby talking- getting to know one another after leaving the Four Seasons.  Initially, he's not my type at all.  I think he's 40 (something maybe), jewish, divorcee, and a father of 7 year old twins.  But I enjoyed talking to him and this is me trying to give making different choices and taking chances a chance.  We're staying at the same hotel, so after 3a we went up on the elevator together and he tried to kiss me.  The look on my face had to be priceless and offensive unfortunately.  But I didn't mean it that way.  The old me would have kissed him.  But the new me is like "you have to get to know me a little more, I need to get to know you before I go there."  I'm over giving away my "goodies" LOL too quickly.  I found an email this morning saying how he didn't mean to offend me, that he enjoyed talking to me and hoped to hang with me again.  I told him I was flattered not offended and would definitely hang again.  What do you think?  The door isn't closed, the train just isn't moving on express.

Forgive me, I had my camera on me but didn't want to take it out for some reason.  I'll be more conscious about doing it today.

To another wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment