Friday, January 22, 2010

TGN: Control

Daily Prayer: Thank You, LORD, for always making a way; all I have to do is take the first step in trust of You and adhere to the leading of Your Spirit. LORD, show me how to always be on watch of the distractions in my life. Those things that would love to weigh down my heart and take me off purpose. Show me how to be on watch and prayerful about everything. For I pray I escape what's coming for the wicked and that I may be able to stand before Your Holy Son. In Your Name, Jesus. Amen (Luke 21). 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
The Death of John the Baptist
Mark 6:14-29 (NLT)*part 3*
Emphasis on v. 20-28

20 for Herod respected John (the Baptist); and knowing that he was a good and holy man, he protected him. Herod was greatly disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so, he liked to listen to him.
21 Herodias's chance finally came on Herod's birthday. He gave a party for his high government officials, army officers, and the leading citizens of Galilee. 22 Then his daughter, also named Herodias, came in and performed a dance that greatly pleased Herod and his guests. "Ask me for anything you like," the king said to the girl, "and I will give it to you." 23 He even vowed, "I will give you whatever you ask, up to half my kingdom!"
24 She went out and asked her mother, "What should I ask for?"
Her mother told her, "Ask for the head of John the Baptist!"
25 So the girl hurried back to the king and told him, "I want the head of John the Baptist, right now, on a tray!"
26 Then the king deeply regretted what he had said; but because of the vows he had made in front of his guests, he couldn't refuse her. 27 So he immediately sent an executioner to the prison to cut off John's head and bring it to him. The soldier beheaded John in the prison, 28 brought his head on a tray, and gave it to the girl, who took it to her mother.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herod arrested John the Baptist under pressure from his wife and advisers. Though Herod respected John's integrity and was often moved by his words (his spirit was stirred but his heart wasn't ready to receive), in the end Herod had John killed because of pressure from his peers and family.
What you do under pressure often shows what you are really like.
Herod didn't have to go to this extreme if he would had been more careful with his words, his promise to Herodias' daughter. In promising to give her anything she wanted before guests- he would have been greatly embarrassed before them if he had denied her request. WORDS ARE POWERFUL! They can lead to great sin. We should take the time to use them with great care.
************************
Prayer: LORD, we all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way; for Your Word declares this. The tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. The tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin my whole life. It can turn the entire course of my life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself. It can be an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises You, and sometimes it breaks out into curses against those who have been made in Your image. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. As James said, this is not right! This is how the world operates, not Your saints! LORD, I need Your help with control. I believe as soon as I began to offer up this prayer, Your Spirit went to work in me and I declare the victory right now in using the mouth You created for good and not for evil. In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen (James 3:2-12).
************************************************
Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible.
Spread The Good News: www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com"
Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment