Monday, December 14, 2009

TGN: Mother, Brothers, Sisters in Christ.

Prayer: LORD, You have showered us with righteousness, we should be a people reaping the fruit of Your unfailing love; show us how to break up our unplowed, untouched, unturned ground- for it is time to seek the LORD in all things. For Your Word clearly tells us what results in depending on our own strength and on people; wickedness is planted, evil is reaped and the fruit of deception is eaten. Father the more You called Israel, the further they went away from You. I pray we live to do the opposite. I'm so thankful You're a God of compassion. I'm so thankful Your not something we've made, so thankful You're not an indecisive man. But You are God, LORD Almighty! Hallelujah. You are the Holy One among us. Let us follow You LORD, maintaining love and justice and waiting for You always. When You feed us Father, we are satisfied. Forgive our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. Thank You for wisdom and discernment for Your ways are always right; the righteous walk in them and those who are rebellious stumble in them. (Hosea 10-13). LORD, let us delight in Your Word today and everyday. In Jesus' Name. Amen
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

www.biblegateway.com
Mark 3 v. 20-21: 31- 35 (NIV)
Jesus' Mother and Brothers

20 Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. 21 When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

31 Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you."
 33 "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked.
 34 Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."

------

With the crowd pressing in on Him, Jesus didn't even take time to eat. Because of this, His family (Mary and her other sons) came to take charge of Him, thinking He had gone "over the edge"/"out of His mind." They were concerned for Him, but they missed the point of His ministry. Even those closest to Jesus were slow to understand who He was and what He had come to do.

Jesus explained that in our spiritual family the relationships are ultimately more important and longer lasting than those formed in our physical families. God's family is accepting and doesn't exclude anyone. We don't all have to have the same last name, same cultural heritage, same skin color to be included in the family of Christ. Although Jesus cared for His mother and brother, He also cared for all those who loved Him. Jesus did not show partiality; He allowed everyone the privilege of obeying God and becoming part of His family.

In our computerized, "text me don't call me", flaky, impersonal world; warm relationships among members of God's family take on major importance. The church (believers) can give the loving, personalized care that many people find nowhere else.

Now I know many people are saying in their heads, "The church is the last place I would go." I know, people have practiced many years of getting it all wrong, and actually doing everything opposite of what is commanded. Excluding and judging, instead of accepting. This is where the INDIVIDUAL has to take lead, just as Jesus did and be the actual example of God's family.

Look, I love going to church! It's a place that no one has ever had to force me to go to. BUT, there have been times where the actions or attitude of 1 person or more, has made me say "I'm glad I have a relationship with God and desire the Word, because they sure didn't help me want to come back!" TRUE STORY (IES- it's happened many times). But that's people.

Believe me there are many more who see you as family, if we would just give them the chance to show that love to us and not allow the many bad seeds, or some people who are just having a bad day- ruin the whole reputation of God's people. Personally I'm blessed, I've never gone out on a search for it- but as I look back and at my life now; the majority of my close friends and even those only there for a season have always been believers. A majority of them are still in my life today, going as far back as the 3rd grade and as recent as when working for MTV- and now through friends of friends. And all of them I've met outside of the church building. This is because at some point in their life they were living "church" not just attending. Not saying any of us were perfect- but we weren't afraid to speak the name Jesus aloud.

Without even knowing the Word, I have always considered my friends, family. Which I give all credit to the grace of God, because as we grow in Him- He gives us the desires of His heart. Now, have all the times with my family (the friends) been great? No. There have been arguments, misunderstandings, hurt feelings, some time-outs/apart. But that's in any natural family as well. Show me a family that is like The Cosby's or The Brady Bunch in real life and I'll show you the flaws. But flaws and all, I still love them and hope they still love me. Just as we do in our natural fams.

This is Word! It is God's desire that we be family in Him. He's our Father, we are His children. If we're obedient in His command to love one another, hopefully we can make better efforts to be good with and towards one another (natural & spiritual family alike) at all times.

*********************************** WE ALL SHARE THE SAME BLOOD, THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.
***********************************

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, and Life Application Study Bible.

www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com  "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment