Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pleasing God

PRAYER: How precious is Your name, Jesus!  There is eternal power in the name of Jesus.  The mighty name of Jesus.  You hear me every time I call and You pick me up every time I fall.  I desire more of You in my life, a deeper relationship with You.  Here I am!  I desire to do Your will and not my own.  That every decision that I step out on, has been guided by You.  That it is Your way and not my way.  I need You.  I don't want to live this life on my own.  Thank You for forgiveness, my joy, my peace, my faith in You and Your Word.  Thank You.  In Your name I pray.  Amen

MATTHEW 19:16-30 part 3
THE RICH YOUNG MAN: 
emphasis on verses 21-22

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
"Which ones?" the man inquired.
Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder,' 'do not commit adultery,' 'do not steal,' 'do not give false testimony,' 'honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.' "
"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?" 
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

What has Jesus exposed to you?  What are your weaknesses?  Have you made any steps to do what God is telling you to do?  What better time than now to do what is commanded of you.  Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today.  Pray!  Trust me I experienced this, this very morning-how prayer will motivate you to do what you don't necessarily feel like doing.

So above, Jesus says to the young rich man, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.''  When Jesus told this young man that he would "be perfect" if he gave everything he had to the poor, Jesus wasn't speaking in the temporal, human sense.  He was explaining how to be justified and made whole or complete in God's sight.  Should all believers sell everything they own?  No.  This again was in the context of speaking to this young man's situation.  We are responsible to care for our own needs and the needs of our families so as not to be a burden on others.  We should, however, be willing to give up anything if God asks us to do so.  This kind of attitude allows nothing to come between us and God and keeps us from using our God-given wealth and blessings selfishly.  In the past 4 months, God has been telling me to give up a lot.  Some has been easy but not all of it.  At this time I'm struggling with giving up certain things.  It's not easy, but we have to do it because God knows what's best for us.  

If you are comforted by the fact that Christ did not tell all his followers to sell all their possessions, then you may be too attached to what you have.  We cannot love God with all our heart and yet keep out money or gifts to ourselves.  Loving Him totally means using what we have (your body, your time, your money, your possessions, your home----everything!) in ways that please Him.

HOW DO YOU USE WHAT YOU HAVE TO PLEASE GOD?



No comments:

Post a Comment