Saturday, April 4, 2009

Reconciliation

PRAYER: Help me LORD.  I need Your help in (where do you need God's help?  Speak on it).  The only true help comes from You LORD and You are the one I want to turn to.  There so many other places/people that entice me to turn to them.  Forgive me, for going the wrong way.  You should always be first because You're the only one who can do ALL things on my behalf.  Thank You Jesus.  I trust You with the life You have given to me.  In Your name I pray.  Amen.

MATTHEW 18:15-20 part 1
A BROTHER WHO SINS AGAINST YOU: 

(Jesus speaking to His disciples) "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Bible, we always have to look for the context by which Jesus words were spoken.  Though Jesus used the word "brother," this does apply to women as well.  The only reason Jesus used "brother" is because He was speaking to His disciples, who were all men at that time.  Many people will lie and say the Bible is anti-women.  So untrue.  It's about being in right relationship with God.

Verses 15-17 are guidelines for dealing with those who sin against us.  They are meant for (1) believers in Christ, not unbelievers, (2) sins committed against you and not others, and (3) conflict resolution in the context of the church, not the community at large.  Jesus' words are not a license for a frontal attack on every person who hurts or slights us.  They are not a license to start a destructive gossip campaign or to call for a church trial.  This isn't The Crucible ladies and gents.  They are designed to reconcile those who disagree so that all believers in Christ can live in harmony.

Our motivation should always be reconciliation.  When someone wrongs us, we often do the opposite of what Jesus recommends.  We turn away in hatred or resentment, seek revenge, or engage in gossip.  I admit, I have turned away from individuals in my life for more than one of these reasons in the past, but I'm ready to operate differently.  By contrast, we should go to that person first, as difficult as that may be.  Then we should forgive that person as often as he or she needs it (we will read more about forgiving others in verses 21,22).  This will create a much better chance of restoring the relationship.  I've learned that COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY TO LIFE.  Once you break communication with anyone, including God-you kill the relationship.

STOP!  THINK ABOUT IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment