Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cause...

LET'S WORSHIP IN SONG TODAY


And if you don't know the words, the lyrics are provided for you!
*************************************************
www.biblegateway.com
Mark 9:42-48 (NKJV)

Jesus Warns of Offenses
42 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 44 where
Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.

45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 46 where
Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.

47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— 48 where
Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.

♥--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------♥
Now, before you go cutting off a part of your body or start to spread the false claim that Jesus wants us to harm ourselves.  Let me clearly tell you what the verses above are talking about:

WHAT CAUSES YOU TO SIN?

What are you allowing to influence your thoughts, and desensitize your heart; to eventually lead you to sin?  Is it the people you keep around you?  Is it what you're watching on television?  Is it the music you're listening to?  Is it the books you're reading?  Is it the places you go? Is is the amount of drinks you drink?

Jesus' uses startling language to stress the importance of cutting sin out of our life completely.  With these strong words, Jesus described the serious and eternal consequences of sin.  To the Jews, worms and fire represented both internal and external pain.  Nothing could be worse.  Painful self-discipline is required of Jesus' true followers.  Giving up a relationship, job, or habit that is against (or leads you to act against) God's Will may seem just as painful as cutting off ahand - but it's worth it.  Our high goal is worth any sacrifice; Christ is worth any possible loss.  Nothing should stand in the way of faith; we have to eliminate what causes us to sin.

I'm free!  So I'm not embarrassed to share some of the things that I have currently implemented into my daily life: I cut off most of the television shows I use to watch (and I use to watch anything and everything), I rarely listen to the radio anymore (I usually have my XM radio on PRAISE, I even enjoy riding in the car without music sometimes--- CRAZY!!!), I don't hang or communicate with manypeople who I use to and getting drunk has not been a part of my lifestyle; I don't even desire a drink anymore.  Why?  Because I realized that each of these gradually (or sometimes immediately) led me to make the wrong decisions; or to accept perversion-and eventually, to the act of some sin.  

What has letting go of the above done for my life?  Well, I've learned that I'm not missing anything, that all of it was just a distraction to keep me off of purpose and to lower my self-image.  It has made more room for the Holy Spirit to regulate in my life.  It has changed my heart on many issues of life.  I experience joy like I've never experience joy before; in the good times and the rough times.  It has help me to focus my eyes on Jesus; and is consistently replacing my selfish nature, with selfless actions.  And trust me, my life is more exciting than it use to be, because God is directing it.  I'm by no means complete, there is much more that I have to change as I mature in Christ; but I just wanted to share what God has been working on, because if He is doing it forme - He wants to and can do it for you!

What is ONE thing that you will let go of today?

*don't try to do it all; just ONE thing.  What is one thing you can commit to changing today to start walking the path of eliminating sin from your life?

Another good thought from these verses:

ARE YOU INFLUENCING OTHERS TO SIN?

Jesus cautions against harming little ones in the faith; but this also includes our peers and all other individuals in our life.  What we do individually as teachers and as examples, to what we allow to fester in our Christian fellowship are important influences; and should be seen as such.  If you haven't caught the theme for chapter 9, it is this: the motivation for our thoughts and actions.  They must be motivated by love.

We have a responsibility to confront flagrant sin within the body of believers.  It's a very fine line, so we have to be careful about judging others; but the world tells us to mind our own business; God teaches us to be accountable to one another.  All in love of course.  Again it boils down to your motivation and how you handle it.  Isolation and secrets are sure to keep us in sin.

I also have to encourage each of us to be open to listen to the words of the person who wants better from us and for us.  It's a heroic thing to risk unintentionally hurting a person's feelings and the relationship, in order to tell someone the Truth that will save their life.  Sometimes staying quiet is not the answer.  Be discerning of course, but it's so important for us to help one another.  We can't make it without God and we can't make it without loving each other.

Many of you don't want to hear this, and may ignore it.  But please be advised that it is better to miss out on all of the things that we enjoy, but are eternally bad for our spirit; than to miss out on a full, eternity-long and amazing relationship with God.   We must be ruthless in removing sin from our life now; there isn't any time to waste.  Make your choices from an eternal perspective.

**********************************************************
Daily Prayer: Dear God, please direct  this word to rest in the hearts of everyone who reads it.  Let it plant a root in them that will produce good fruit.  I pray that we will each choose self-control today.  We are spiritual beings.  After this body is dead our spirits will soar.  I pray that we will refuse to allow what will rot, rule the eternal.  I pray that we will choose to be drunk only by joy.  I pray that we will be impassioned only by our faith.  I pray that we will be influenced only by You and taught only by Christ.  Through these I pray that we choose to commit our day to honoring You.  We praise you in advance for success.  If any of us fail, I pray that we seek your grace immediately and rebuke condemnation. For You are the lifter of our heads.  Thank You Jesus.  Amen.

Definition provided by www.dictionary.com

fla·grant

–adjective

1. shockingly noticeable or evident; obvious; glaring: a flagrant error.
2. notorious; scandalous: a flagrant crime; a flagrant offender.
3. Archaic. blazing, burning, or glowing.

*Prayer: Max Lucado - When God Whispers Your Name

No comments:

Post a Comment