Friday, March 5, 2010

The Cross

Are you getting what you need from TGN?  Yes... NO...  Let me hear about, leave me a comment 


GOD WANTS TO TALK TO YOU... START PRAYING
*ALL prayers are heard by God in the Name of Jesus.*

Now, let's get into the Word for the day.


www.biblegateway.com
Mark 8 (NKJV)


:34-38 Take Up the Cross and Follow Him
 
34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

-----------------------------------------------------------
What is this cross business?  Why did Jesus use this specific word?


Some may think because He was crucified on the cross, and you're right.  But there is a little more to it.

Well, lets look at context first:  The Romans were Mark's (the writer of this gospel) original audience, so they knew exactly what shouldering the cross meant.  Death on a cross was a form of execution used by Rome for dangerous criminals.  A prisoner carried his own cross to the place of execution, signifying submission to Rome's power.

Got it? Good stuff right (meaning information and understanding - not the act of execution)?  Thank You LORD for always giving us understanding!

As human beings, we spend too much time and energy seeking pleasure. Real talk.  "How can I do for me?"  Is usually our daily focus.  Jesus, said, however, that worldliness, which is centered on possessions, position, or power, is ultimately worthless.  Whatever you have on earth is only temporary; it cannot be exchanged for your soul.  If you work hard at getting what you want, you might eventually have the " GOOD" life, as Kanye sings about, but in the end you will find it hollow and empty.  Jesus used the image of carrying a cross to illustrate the ultimate submission required for His followers.  He is not against pleasure, nor was He saying that we should seek pain and suffering needlessly.  Jesus was talking about the bold effort needed to follow Him moment by moment, to do His will even when the work is difficult and the future looks bleak.  

I don't care what anyone says about Mel Gibson, Passion of the Christ was awesome!  It gave many of us who could not picture anything; a great visual image of what it was like for Jesus.  Remember when He was walking, shouldering that cross and he fell to His knees, weak?  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.  He didn't stay down, actually, each time He fell down,whether from being beaten or just out of pure weakness- He ALWAYS got right back up; no matter how much time it took Him.  And not only to complete His purpose- but I believe He was giving His children the best physical example of what TRUST in God is like.  Jesus trusted the Father and this is what got Him through.

Do you trust God?  I know, I know, I know- it isn't always easy.  From the dumb mistakes we make, to the mistakes other people make, to the sin of this world- it's HARD!  No doubt about it.  But it being hard shouldn't be our focus.  Jesus carrying that cross was hard, but He made it.  Didn't He?

We should be willing to lose our life for the sake of the Good News.  This isn't because our life is useless but because NOTHING-not even life on this earth-can compare to what we gain with Christ.  Jesus wants us to CHOOSE to follow Him rather than to lead a life of sin and self-satisfaction.  This message isn't just for unsaved individuals- I believe, today the Word is specifically speaking to all of us who claim to already know and serve Jesus.  It's time to stop claiming and actually do it.  He wants us to stop trying to control our own destiny and to let Him direct us.  This makes good sense because as the Creator, Christ knows better than we do what real life is about.  He asks for submission, not self-hatred; He asks us only to lose our self-centered determination to be in charge of everything.  Let Jesus take charge (or take the wheel for all you Carrie Underwood fans).

And I hear many "HOWs?" out there.  It is simple: Applying everything we're learning from His Word each and every day to our life at every second, in every decision, every day we breathe on this earth.   The Bible, TGN and all our other Word resources are not here to make us feel good for the day.  NOOOOOOO!  God is our feel good and His Word is our instruction.  We won't always get it right, but can't we at least make the effort?  Living the Word, isn't going to get us into heaven.  Only Jesus and grace can save us.  BUT the Word can prevent the trouble that comes with sin and it is preparing us for how to live in eternity.  Don't you want to be ready?  I know I do!

My beautiful sisters and brothers in Christ, this is exactly where my heart is.  I want us all to experience the goodness of God NOW.  I want to be able to dialogue with you and be overshadowed by the Spirit of God working in you.  I want to see that honest and real joy that ONLY comes from the God we serve.  I want to see the fullness of God in each one of our lives.  This is why I'm committed to TGN!  This is why I'm committed to YOU.  God has called me to serve you and I want to see the results of faithfulness and greatness in you.

Are you willing to make the pursuit of God more important than the selfish pursuits?  FOLLOW JESUS, and you will know what it means to live abundantly now and to have eternal life as well.

I found this awesome video Lead Me To The Cross by Hillsongs United.



Around 2:30, is a great visual of what we're talking about today.  Check it out!  Powerful ministry.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Daily Prayer:  Jesus, I am not ashamed of You.  You are the best thing about me; You in Me, is the most amazing gift that could ever exist.  LORD, forgive me for any time I have been so unkind to You and hurt You by not allowing my love for You to come forth before others; nor in loving or serving others.  You are the great God of my salvation.  You are my LORD, and my King.  You are High and Lifted Up.  Don't let me miss another beat.  My desire is to serve You LORD, in a manner that honors You.  In the manner that You have instructed me to serve You.  I pray that I delight in You through my obedience Father, each and every day.  Starting today!  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

- I believe You may have more to say...so keep Your prayer going, this is just to give you a head start.  Let it all out for God.

HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH!

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Jesus is speaking today!!!!  And He has a good Word from this section for us on Monday!  Happy Weekend everyone!



Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment