Wednesday, February 3, 2010

TGN: God Should Not Be Used As An Excuse...

GIVING OPPORTUNITY: Feb. 27th I am hosting a Greeting Card Party, where we'll get together over snacks and drinks to make quality homemade greeting cards with love, for the patients in the Pediatrics Cancer Ward and for Seniors in the Inland Empire Area. This is the month with the "love" holiday; but instead of focusing on couples-I would like to focus on "Hav(ing) a Heart" and show some love to those who may need a little extra right now. If your heart is stirred to get involved, here are a couple of ways:
#1- If you live in Southern California and would like to join the party. Reply and I will hit you with all of the party & location details.
#2- If you are not local or cannot make it, but would like to participate. Reply and I will give you the requirements for making the cards and the directions in sending them to me by Feb. 27th.
#3- If there is someone in your world, you think would appreciate receiving a card of love. Reply with their information and they will receive a card the first week of March, along with the rest of our love recipients. You can have this sent anonymously.
Easy enough!
Have a heart and show some love!
Thanks!
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Daily Prayer: The LORD, my LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet, He does not leave the guilty unpunished. This is the God I serve and I just want to praise Your name. For when I praise my God the enemy is defeated. Praise You LORD. I open up the atmosphere for You to rest and dwell in. Teach me, guide me, correct me. I love You, LORD. In Jesus' Name. Amen (Exodus 34:6,7)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If TGN isn't delivered to you early enough; You will always be able to find the fresh daily Word at www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com - save it in your favorites!
www.biblegateway.com
Mark 7:1-23 (NLT) *part 1.3*
Canceling the Word of God
Emphasis v. 6-13
6 Jesus replied (to the Pharisees and teachers of religious law), "You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote,
'These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
7 Their worship is a farce,
for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.'
8 For you ignore God's law and substitute your own tradition."
9 Then he said, "You skillfully sidestep God's law in order to hold on to your own tradition. 10 For instance, Moses gave you this law from God: 'Honor your father and mother,' and 'Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.' 11 But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, 'Sorry, I can't help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.' 12 In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. 13 And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So #1, Know THE Word! Are you geared towards really learning and knowing the Word of God and applying it in every area of your life?
In today's verses, we see that the Pharisees and teachers of religious law, used God as an excuse to avoid helping others; including their families. They thought it was more important to put money in the Temple treasury then to help their needy parents, although God's law specifically says to honor fathers and mothers (Exodus 20:12) and to care for those in need (Leviticus 25:35-43). We should give money (especially the tithe- 10%, a command of God) and time to God (every day), but we must never use God as an excuse to neglect our responsibilities. Helping those in need is one of the most important ways to honor God. Remember back in Mark 6, when Jesus wanted to rest with His disciples, but saw the need of the people hungry for the Word. He didn't say, "Nope, it's rest time for us. Come back another day!" NO, He had compassion and He began to feed them with what they searched for and needed.
Honor God by helping someone(s) in need today. Jesus is the most perfect example of this.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Daily Prayer: Jesus, You are my LORD; apart from You I have no good thing. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me. I will set You, LORD, always before me. With You, I will not be shaken. You have made known to me the path of life- Jesus. You fill me with joy in Your Presence with eternal pleasure at Your right hand. LORD, let me be a servant of honor; honoring You by not ignoring the needs of others, set before me. If I have to stop my time with You to listen to a friend in need, I will. If I have to give my last $5 to a stranger, instead of buying the sermon on Sunday, I will. LORD, where I fight these desires to serve, I ask that You help me. For Your Spirit is perfect, and that perfect Holy Spirit dwells within me. Hallelujah. Comfort Your children, seeking Your peace- right now! Thank You Jesus. In Your Name, amen (Psalm 16).
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible.

Peace comes when our minds stay on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment