Wednesday, February 3, 2010

TGN: What defiles you...

GIVING OPPORTUNITY: If you have an x-box 360 or know someone who does, please respond today.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Daily Prayer: Heavenly Father, I know that Your blessings are found in my obedience to Your Word. Help me to obey You, LORD, in the handling of every area of my life, that I may be a good steward over all you have given me. In Jesus' Name. Amen

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
*If TGN isn't delivered to you early enough; You will always be able to find the fresh daily Word at www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com - save it in your favorites!

www.biblegateway.com
Mark 7:1-23 (NLT) *part 1.4*

Food isn't it!
Emphasis v. 14-23

14 Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. "All of you listen," he said, "and try to understand. 15 It's not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart."

17 Then Jesus went into a house to get away from the crowd, and his disciples asked him what he meant by the parable he had just used. 18 "Don't you understand either?" he asked. "Can't you see that the food you put into your body cannot defile you? 19 Food doesn't go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer." (By saying this, he declared that every kind of food is acceptable in God's eyes.)

20 And then he added, "It is what comes from inside that defiles you. 21 For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. 23 All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you."


-----------------------------------------------------------
So #1, Know THE Word! Are you geared towards really learning and knowing the Word of God and applying it in every area of your life?

#2 Honor God by helping those in need today. Do not use Him as your excuse NOT to help. God isn't down for that.

Now, do we worry more about what is in our diet than what is in our heart and mind? As they interpreted the dietary laws (Leviticus 11), the Jews believed they could be clean before God because of what they refused to eat. Jesus pointed out that sin actually begins in the attitudes and intentions of the inner person. Jesus did not degrade the law, but he paved the way for the change made clear in Acts 10:9-29 when God removed the cultural restrictions regarding food (Jesus, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean"). Before Jesus came to this earth as Son of Man, these restrictions were symbolically necessary; to keep the distinction of clean and unclean before the people; so that they would know the importance to God. With Jesus, everyone was declared free from this, He showed us the importance.

I'll share a story with you: When I was 12, I read the Bible daily- whether I understood it or not. My Pastor drilled it into me how important the Word was. And honestly I was drawn to it- so all glory to God. But anyway, I read in Leviticus of the unclean pig; and at that time I ate pork. So as a sacrifice I decided to give it up. But I was freed from this just recently, in the last 2 years actually. This brings me back to #1 how important it is to read and know the Word. We put ourselves in bondage we don't need to be in. I still don't eat pork all the time, just because after 16 years, the taste buds don't always receive it well; but I know it doesn't make me clean to not eat it; nor unclean to eat it. Are there any old traditions you're holding onto, that are not doing anything for you and your relationship with God?

We are not pure because of outward acts-we become pure on the inside as Christ renews our mind and transforms us into His image. An evil action begins with a single thought. Allowing our mind to dwell on lust, envy, hatred, or revenge will lead to sin. Who has felt the aftermath of this? (Both hands raised over here!) Don't defile yourself by focusing on evil; anything not of God. Especially if the world finds it OK; that should be a huge sign to focus on the opposite-Christ. This means we have to be careful of what we take in. Look, I'm a T.V. addict! And I love all types of music. But I've come to realize that some of these television shows, movies and songs- really take my mind in the wrong direction. So I've decided to walk away from many of it; and now I really limit it. I have one CD, that I'm going to have to go buy- just because I can't take the cursing. I need clean versions now! LOL! God's Word should be the majority in my life. We think we're cool enough to handle it, but don't forget we're dealing with a spiritual world as well. And it will find you, in your weakest moments; you'll be so full of crap- you will have nothing to fight it. Sometimes not even the right mind to flee from it. So let's follow Paul's advice in Philippians 4:8 and think about what is true, noble/honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy- according to God.

It will change your life... and for the better. I can say this, because I know.


**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Daily Prayer: Jesus, whatever is true, noble/honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy- let me meditate on it. Let it be the key in choosing what to watch, listen to, even in the conversations I decide to join. Create in me a pure heart LORD, so that I can serve You respectfully. On Your terms and not on mine. For You know all and I would like to show in my actions, the trust I have in You. Thank You so much for Your Word. I'm thankful that I don't have to live without it. In Your Unfailing Name I pray, amen.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible, prayer CCC.

Peace comes when our minds stay on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment