Friday, May 29, 2009

The Stone

PRAYER: I need You to order my steps in Your Word LORD.   I want to live my day to day pleasing You LORD.  You've helped me so many times, boldly and with love.  I ask that You don't stop.  I need You more than water.  Be with me my God and don't let me lose sight of You when making any decision.  Be with me and let Your Spirit take charge over me.  In Jesus' name, amen.


MATTHEW 21:33-46- part 2
THE PARABLE OF THE TENANTS:
  • emphasis on verses 42- 44

Jesus is still speaking with the chief priests and the elders of the people who questioned His authority: 

42 Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: 
'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes'?
43 Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.  44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

First, thank you, for each word of encouragement that you send my way.  I'm so thankful for each one of you and grateful that the LORD has connected us in some way and will keep us connected through His Word.

In today's emphasized verses, Jesus refers to himself as "the stone rejected by the builders."  Although Jesus was rejected by many of His people, His purpose was to become the cornerstone of His church-which is you and me (not the physical building).  A cornerstone is defined as a stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.  An important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based.  Doesn't this describe Jesus?  Jesus used this metaphor to show that one stone can affect people in different ways, depending on how they relate to it.  Ideally they will build on it, many, however, will trip over it.  But tripping over it isn't that bad.  When we trip over things, we come to realize that they are there, and when broken into pieces all we need is someone Great to put us back together again.  We have to come to God broken, knowing we can't do this on our own, that we need a Savior to save us.  And at the Last Judgment God's enemies will be crushed by Christ, the "building block."  He will become the "crushing stone."  

Jesus offers mercy and forgiveness now and promises judgment later.  We should choose Him now and grow in His ways of love!

WHAT IS THE "STONE" IN YOUR LIFE? 


No comments:

Post a Comment