Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TGN: Burden

**********************************************************************
Prayer (for you to pray as it applies to you or someone in your life): You are humbling me dear God. I know it and as hard as it is at times, I welcome it because You are only raising me up to be mature in Your ways. You are raising me to do what You created me to do in Your name only. I have sinned and perverted what was right, but because of Your mercy and grace I did not get what I deserved. You redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I thank You because I will live to enjoy the light. Your awesome light. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
--------------------------------------------------------------

www.biblegateway.com
DEATH & RESURRECTION OF JESUS, THE KING

Matthew 27

The Crucifixion *part 2* v. 32

As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross.
----

If you are not aware, the four gospels of the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) recount many of the same experiences through different eyes. So be prepared to read Scripture that will ring in your head as "familiar" but trust- it will reveal something new to you or just remind you of something important each time. The crucifixion is an account that we will revisit in the next 3 gospels.

What torture Jesus had to endure. In this day, condemned prisoners had to carry their own crosses to the execution site. Jesus, weakened from the beatings He had received, was physically unable to carry His cross any farther. Thus, a bystanders, Simon (verse 32), was forced to do so. What an honor this man Simon had, probably without even realizing it. He actually was able to carry the physical burden of the cross with Jesus. He was forced, which probably meant that he refused. But he still did it. Can we take a journey back to Matthew 11:28, when Jesus told the crowd "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

There is absolute freedom in Jesus, that is the truth. But while in this world where satan is- there is a burden that comes with serving Jesus. And many of us do not want to carry it, just like Simon didn't. The burden of being rejected, talked about and judged; the burden of sin, excessive demands of religious leaders, family members and friends, oppression and persecution, weariness in the search for God and the list can go on.

Jesus frees us from ALL burdens. The rest that Jesus promises comes from His fulfillment on the cross. Love, healing, and peace with God are His promises. A relationship with God changes meaningless, wearisome toil/labor into spiritual productivity and purpose. There was purpose in Simon carrying the cross with Jesus. When we are beaten down emotionally, physically and spiritually, Jesus does exactly as Simon did- He is right there to take those burdens off of us. There is purpose in serving Jesus each and every day of our lives. The blessing is that Jesus will not refuse to help us; BUT He will not force Himself upon us either. We have to make the decision and take action in the choices we make every day to join Jesus and live the way He commands. It will be hard- there is no doubt about it. You will have to take stand after stand opposite popular opinion and behaviors. But it will definitely be worth it.

There is no way Simon wasn't changed from making that journey with Jesus. And there is no way you will not be changed in allowing Him to take the journey with you.

FIND YOUR REST IN THE LORD!

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Through God's mercy I have this ministry, I will not lose heart... I do not preach myself, but Jesus Christ as LORD and myself as the servant of the people for Jesus' sake." 2 Corinthians 4:1,5

Scripture & Prayer from NIV Women's Devotional Bible-Classic Edition. Notes from The Study Application Bible.


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

Are you receiving anything from the Good News? Share with us!


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment