Friday, November 20, 2009

TGN: The 12 Apostles

Prayer: Father God, Your love endures forever. Your love last, persist, suffers firmly and patiently forever. To allow this Truth to sink in, amazement overcomes my heart. I am amazed by You and Your everlasting characteristics of compassion, love and faithfulness towards me. Even in my weak moments of giving into my flesh, allowing evil desires to lead me; Your love endures forever. I can't thank You enough for Your forgiveness and salvation. I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done. LORD, You have and will chaste me; sometimes severely, but it is all for the good work You're doing in me. I'm thankful that You will not give me over to death. In Your mighty Name I pray, Jesus, amen (Psalm 118).
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
JESUS' MINISTRY IN GALILEE

Mark 3 v. 13-19 (NIV)*part 1*

The Appointing of the Twelve Apostles

13 Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. 14 He appointed twelve— designating them apostles— that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach 15 and to have authority to drive out demons. 16 These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter) 17 James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means Sons of Thunder); 18 Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot (Zealots were Jewish nationalist who opposed the Roman occupation of Palestine) 19 and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

------

From the hundreds of people who followed Jesus from place to place, He chose 12 to be His apostles. Apostles means "messenger or authorized representative." Why did Jesus choose 12 men? The number 12 corresponds to the 12 tribes of Israel (Matthew 19:28), showing continuity between the old religious system and the new one based on Jesus' message; remember God is a God of purpose.

Jesus did not choose these 12 to be His associates and companions because of their faith; their faith often faltered. He didn't choose them because of their talent and ability; no one stood out with unusual ability. The disciples represented a wide range of backgrounds and life experiences, but apparently they had no more leadership potential than those who were not chosen. The one characteristics they all shared was their willingness to obey Jesus, and because of this they received the most intense training.

After Jesus' ascension, they were filled with the Holy Spirit and empowered to carry out special roles in the growth of the early church. We see the impact of these men throughout the rest of the New Testament.

We should not disqualify ourselves from service to Christ because we do not have the expected credentials. Being a good disciple is simply a matter of following Jesus with a willing heart.

-JESUS FINDS THE IMPACTFUL IN THE MOST ORIDINARY PEOPLE.

I was just thinking today, LORD why can't I sing? Why didn't I take dance training seriously? Where is my talent? And God has answered: I (we) don't need all of that to do His work on this earth. Let's allow God to train us like the apostles, to make an impact with His Word and with what He has uniquely designed in each of us; in our surroundings and communities.

- SOMETIMES WE ARE THINKING SO BIG, THAT WE MISS WHAT IS IMPORTANT.

**********************************************************************
Prayer: Jesus, thank You for choosing me. For creating purpose within me. You know and see far beyond anything I can comprehend. Use me LORD, my heart is willing. In Your Name. Amen.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12


Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, and Life Application Study Bible.


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com  "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment