Tuesday, November 24, 2009

TGN: James

Prayer: Teach me, O LORD to follow Your order, so that I keep Your commands to the end. Give me understanding, so that I will keep Your law and obey it with all my heart; not picking and choosing what and what does not work for me- because it all works for me. I need Your direction, Father, in the path of Your commands; for I know this is where I find true delight. Where I waver LORD, I ask You to turn my heart toward Your law and not toward selfish gain. Help me to turn my eyes away from worthless things and preserve my life according to Your Word and in Your righteousness. I love You LORD, and I know there is freedom in trusting in Your Word. My hope is in Your Word, please do not allow me miss a thing. In Jesus' name. Amen (Psalm 119:33-48).
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
THE TWELVE DISCIPLES/APOSTLES*part 3*

Mark 3 v. 13-19 (NIV)
Emphasis on v. 17

13 Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. 14 He appointed twelve— designating them apostles— that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach 15 and to have authority to drive out demons. 16 These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter 17 James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means Sons of Thunder); 

------

Jesus' faithful disciples were ordinary men who became extraordinary because of Jesus Christ. Despite their confusion and lack of understanding during His lifetime, they became powerful witnesses to His resurrection. Their lives were transformed by God's power.

Next is...

JAMES

*Son of Zebedee
*Brother of John

*Occupation: Fisherman

*Outstanding Characteristics: Ambitious, short-tempered, judgmental, deeply committed to Jesus.

*Major Events in James' Life:
1) One of the three in core group of disciples (along with Peter).
2) Asked Jesus for places of honor in His Kingdom.
3) Wanted to call fire down to destroy a Samaritan village.
4) First disciple to be martyred (person who dies or suffers for beliefs).

*What Jesus said about James:
-Jesus told James he would fish for people.
-Jesus told James that he would drink the cup Jesus drank (suffer).

* A Key Lesson from James life: Christians must be willing to die (to sin) for Jesus.

IS SIN STILL ALIVE AND WELL IN YOUR LIFE?

- Are you ambitious, short-tempered, and/or judgmental; but committed to Jesus? First ask God to give you the courage and strength to put the flesh to death. And then ask God to make an impact in this world for His Glory, through those qualities that can be perceived and sometimes used negatively. Let them be used to help others commit to Jesus.

-JESUS FINDS THE IMPACTFUL IN THE MOST ORIDINARY PEOPLE.

The story of Jesus' disciples does not end with the 4 Gospels, it continues in the books of Act and many of the letters.
**********************************************************************

"Every time I look around He's doing something wonderful" Karen Clark Sheared

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible, and Nelson's Webster's 21 Century Looseleaf Dictionary.
Selected References: Mark 3:17, 10:35-40; Luke 9:52-56; Acts 12:1,2.

www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com  "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment