Tuesday, November 24, 2009

TGN: John

Prayer: LORD, You give me hope. Hope in all of my circumstances. Hope in all my dreams and passions because I know You are seeing me through it all. My comfort in my suffering here on earth, is Your promise to preserves my life; Your plans for my future success. You are my portion Father God; more than enough! Why I ever search or turn elsewhere is honestly foolish. I sit here and consider my ways; I desire to obey Your Word, to turn my every step in accordance to what You say is right. I will not hurry, nor delay-but seek You, in order to make each step in Your timing. This earth is filled with Your love and goodness. Praise You Jesus. Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
THE TWELVE DISCIPLES/APOSTLES*part 4*

Mark 3 v. 13-19 (NIV)
Emphasis on v. 17

13 Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. 14 He appointed twelve— designating them apostles— that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach 15 and to have authority to drive out demons. 16 These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter) 17 James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means Sons of Thunder);

------

Jesus' faithful disciples were ordinary men who became extraordinary because of Jesus Christ. Despite their confusion and lack of understanding during His lifetime, they became powerful witnesses to His resurrection. Their lives were transformed by God's power.

Next on deck...

JOHN

*Son of Zebedee
*Brother of James
*"the disciple whom Jesus loved"

*Occupation: Fisherman

*Outstanding Characteristics: Ambitious, judgmental; later- very loving.

*Major Events in John's Life:
Much like his brother...
1) Third disciple in core group of disciples (along with Peter and his brother James).
2) Asked Jesus for places of honor in His Kingdom.
3) Wanted to call down fire on a Samaritan village.

4) A leader of the Jerusalem church.
5) Wrote the Gospel of John and 1,2,3 John and Revelation.

*What Jesus said about John:
-Jesus told John he would fish for people.
-Jesus told John that he would drink the cup Jesus drank (suffer).
-Jesus told John he would take care of His mother Mary after His death.

* A Key Lesson from James life: The transforming power of the love of Christ is available to all.

-ARE YOU ALLOWING THE LOVE OF CHRIST TRANSFORM YOU?

The story of Jesus' disciples does not end with the 4 Gospels, it continues in the books of Act and many of the letters..
**********************************************************************
Is this character study helping? Let me know!
--------------------------------------------------------------

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in (them). " 1 John 3:9

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, and Life Application Study Bible.
Selected References: Mark 1:19; Mark 10:35-40; Luke 9:52-56; John 19:26,27; John 21:20-24

www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com  "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment