Monday, November 16, 2009

TGN: Challenging Proud Attitudes & Dishonorable Motives.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, blessed is the person who fears You, who finds great delight in Your commands. Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for You are gracious and compassionate and righteous. The longings of the wicked will come to nothing. So I pray that we each fix our eyes on Jesus, make every effort to live in peace with one another and to be holy; because without holiness no one will see You. And it is all about You LORD. It would be a mess to live this life without You. Thank You for being here for us. In Jesus' name. Amen
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
JESUS' MINISTRY IN GALILEE

Mark 3 v. 1-6 (NIV) *part 2*

Another time (Jesus) went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled had was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Stand up in front of everyone."

Then Jesus asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?" But they remained silent.

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.

------

The Pharisees were a Jewish religious group that zealously followed the Old Testament laws as well as their own religious tradition. What's missing here? Following God! They were highly respected in the community, but they hated Jesus because He challenged their proud attitudes and dishonorable motives.

The Herodians were supporters of Herod, a Jewish political party that hoped to restore Herod the Great's line to the throne. Jesus was a threat to them as well because He challenged their political ambitions. The Pharisees and Herodians, normally enemies, joined forces against Jesus because He exposed them for what they were.

These groups had turned against the King. They were jealous and scared of His popularity, His miracles, and the authority in His teaching and actions. They valued their status in the community and their opportunity for personal gain so much that the Pharisees lost sight of their goal as religious leaders-to point people toward God.

Of all people, the Pharisees should have recognized the Messiah, but they refused to acknowledge Him because they were not willing to give up their treasured position and power. When Jesus exposed their attitudes, He became their enemy instead of their Messiah, and they began looking for ways to turn the people against Him.

Why do we fight those who challenge us to be better? As Christians, the Spirit of the living God lives in us. People may not know why, but their spirits will sense it and some people are going to get uneasy around us-Period; especially when we aren't hiding what we believe. I have a history of people constantly feeling convicted or condemned by me. Not because I live this wholesome life (nor pretend to)- but because I don't allow my foolishness to alter the Truth. I know that God's way is the only way; and even when I fail to take the advice myself- I will continue to speak it to encourage those around me to go the right way, instead of making that mistake.

Too many people adjust God's Word to fit this world's lifestyle. People fear coming off like they're preaching; but when we do this- we're not helping anyone but the enemy. Giving him the room he needs to keep the person off course. He'll tell you, "She thinks she's holier than thou," "What gives him the right to judge you," and so on. Jesus had to deal with this, but did He allow it to change His delivery of God's Word? Nope.

And it shouldn't change for us either. The very core of it should come from love, wanting to see that person avoid taking an empty road; especially when we know they don't have to take it. We don't have to experience something to learn the lesson. Please believe that, "I just have to go through it myself to learn it," is a lie from the enemy. You really believe you have to touch the fire to learn it's hot? NO! All we need to do is listen to the One who knows all, and trust that it's Hot- and therefore stay away from it.

IRON SHARPENS IRON. If we fill our life with people who will just accommodate to and encourage our sin, instead of seeing to it that we don't miss the grace of God- then we won't be sharp at all. Of course we want understanding people in our lives, people who will be empathic to our struggle; but we don't want people who will keep us there. I know I desire people who challenge and encourage me to be in God's best at all times. Which consistently has me reviewing how much time I spend with certain friends. Not because I don't love them, but their influence may not be the best for me- and I desire God's best. Plus, as I get sharp, I can bring that back into their lives, because I for sure want God's best in their lives.

Who is in your life? Do they sharpen you?

-ARE YOU REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE CORRECTION OR RIGHTEOUS DIRECTION IN YOUR LIFE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP YOUR SIN?

**********************************************************************
Prayer: LORD, expose the lies and the liars. Expose those who are doing nothing to help me get me to deeper levels with You. And LORD, expose that which is in me, that rejects those who challenge be to be obedient to You. I need clarity, I need Your Word, and I desire to grow in You- so show me what room I'm giving to the enemy and in Your faithfulness clear it and fill it with You. Hallelujah LORD! You are doing a good thing in our lives. I pray that we all stay alert and take heed to what You are bringing to light. In Jesus' name. Amen
--------------------------------------------------------------

"For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12


Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, and Life Application Study Bible.


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com  "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment