Monday, August 3, 2009

TGN : Suffering

Prayer: What a great Word in the lyrics- open the eyes of my heart LORD, open the eyes of my heart I want to see You. LORD, I want to see you. High and lifted up. Shinning in the light of Your glory. Pour out Your power and love as we sing Holy, Holy, Holy!!! I want to see you LORD! I want to see You! Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long. Remember, dear Father, Your great mercy and love. (Psalm 25) I want to see you!


www.biblegateway.com
DEATH & RESURRECTION OF JESUS, THE KING

Matthew 26

Gethsemane v. 36-46 *part 1*

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleep. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
He went away a second time and prayed, "Father, if it is possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done. "
When he came back, he found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.
Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. There are so many important things to catch here, I don't even know where to start. But we'll start with v.36-38, how Jesus was fully human. In verse 37, Jesus began to be sorrowful and troubled; admitting to His disciples in verse 38 that His "soul (was) overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.". How many of us have ever felt this way? I know I have- for different reasons. But Jesus experienced all the business that goes on and acts up inside of us (our minds, bodies and souls)- when we just want to give up!

Jesus was in great anguish over His approaching physical pain, separation from the Father, and death for the sins of the world. How small the reasons my anguish seemed compared to this! Right? The divine course was set, but He, in His human nature, still struggled. Because of the anguish Jesus' experienced, he can relate to our suffering. Jesus was heard by God because of His reverent submission. And although He was the Son, He learned obedience from what He suffered (Hebrews 5:8). Jesus strength to obey came from His relationship with God the Father, who is also the source of our strength.

CAN YOU COMMIT TO OBEDIENCE?
WHERE DOES YOUR STRENGTH COME FROM?

If you are suffering in any way. Take it to God, take it to someone who will pray for and/or with you. God is able to help, save and guide you in every way- just turn to Him. And if you need another friend- I'M HERE! :)
--------------------------------------------------------------
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach the Good News to the poor." Isaiah 61:1

Notes from Life Application Study Bible & NIV Women's Devotional Bible-Classic Edition. Prayer from the Word of God.

www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com. "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

Are you receiving anything from the Good News?


No comments:

Post a Comment