Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TGN: Authority

Prayer: Today is a new day LORD, and because of You, for You- I will choose to rejoice and be glad in it. Despite how I was feeling yesterday, despite whatever circumstance I am going through, despite any disappointment, despite my mistakes, despite how anyone has treated me. I rejoice in You. I choose to live my life with You in it. And with You there is joy! Hallelujah. There is change! Hallelujah. There is growth! There is more than my eyes can see. Thank You LORD! Forgive me for allowing anything to get in the way of knowing that. I love You for always being there to remind me of Who You are and that You are always with me. You are the center of my joy. I am Your child. Thank You for Your Word today. In Jesus' Name, amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.biblegateway.com
JESUS MINISTRY IN GALILEE

Mark 1 v. 21-28 (NLT)

Jesus Teaches with Authority

21 Jesus and his companions went to the town of Capernaum. When the Sabbath day came, he went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22 The people were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority— quite unlike the teachers of religious law.
23 Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit began shouting, 24 "Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are— the Holy One sent from God!"
25 Jesus cut him short. "Be quiet! Come out of the man," he ordered. 26 At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him.
27 Amazement gripped the audience, and they began to discuss what had happened. "What sort of new teaching is this?" they asked excitedly. "It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders!" 28 The news about Jesus spread quickly throughout the entire region of Galilee.

----

To understand the context, let's learn a little about this time: The Temple in Jerusalem was too far for many Jews to travel to regularly for worship, so many towns had synagogues serving both as places of worship and as schools. Beginning in the days of Ezra, about 450 B.C., a group of 10 Jewish families could start a synagogue. There, during the week, Jewish boys (girls could not attend- a man made rule not God's) were taught the Old Testament law and Jewish men would gather to listen to a rabbi or teacher, it was customary for the synagogue leader to ask visiting teachers to speak. This is why Jesus often spoke in the synagogues in the towns He visited.

During this time, Jesus had recently moved to Capernaum from Nazareth (Matthew 4:12,13). Capernaum was a thriving town with great wealth as well as great sin and decadence (moral deterioration/decline). Because it was the headquarters for many Roman troops, pagan influences from all over the Roman Empire were pervasive (spreading through every part). This is an ideal place for Jesus to challenge both Jews and non-Jews with the Good News of God's Kingdom (Jesus' ministry). The Jewish teachers often quoted from well-known rabbis to give their words more authority. But Jesus didn't have that need. Because Jesus is God, He knew exactly what the Scriptures said and meant. He was the ultimate authority.

Are you placing emphasis on learning what you read daily? By knowing this Word, by writting it on Your heart, incorporating it into every area of your life, every day; you too can live with the authority that Jesus did. Not an arrogance but confident in the authority of our LORD.

-WE HAVE THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY IN US!

**********************************************************************
Prayer: Jesus You are the ultimate authority in this world and in my life. I know this! Show me how to make decision with, and not against that authority. In Your Name I pray. Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Through God's mercy I have this ministry, I will not lose heart... I do not preach myself, but Jesus Christ as LORD and myself as the servant of the people for Jesus' sake." 2 Corinthians 4:1,5

Resources: biblegateway.com, NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition, Life Application Study Bible and the Merriam Webster Dictionary.


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment