Thursday, October 8, 2009

TGN: The Choice to Be Different...

Prayer: You're all I want, Your all I've ever needed. LORD, draw me close to You. How awesome, that I am free to come to You- just as I am. With all of my faults, mistakes, foolish ways, all that craziness; because You promise to cleanse me, to make me new through the blood of Christ. This is so great, it can only be You. Let me shadow Your Son as I consume the "fresh daily bread" that You have "baked" specifically for Your children today in the book of Mark. Let me consume and digest Your Word into living differently today because of the lesson(s) You have ordained for me to learn. What do you want me to know today, Father (Proverbs 8:34; Luke 11)? You are so good, LORD! In Jesus' name. Amen --------------------------------------------------------------

www.biblegateway.com
PREPARATION OF JESUS, THE KING


Mark 1 v. 1-8 *part 2*(NLT)
Emphasis on v. 4-6

John the Baptist Prepares the Way

4 This messenger was John the Baptist. He was in the wilderness and preached that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven. 5 All of Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John. And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River. 6 His clothes were woven from coarse camel hair, and he wore a leather belt around his waist. For food he ate locusts and wild honey.

----
John didn't choose the easy life. Instead he chose to live in the wilderness, wear clothes that the "cool kids" would laugh out, and he ate locusts and wild honey-instead of the finest and choice delicacies. John chose to be different, in order to do his work for God. John chose to keep his eyes on God and live his purpose faithfully.

So why did John choose to live in the wilderness?

(1 ) to get away from distraction so he could hear God's instruction;
Is your life filled with distraction? Only you can remove it. You don't have to live in the wilderness, but you also don't have to be at everything and anything either.

(2) To capture the undivided attention of the people;
Do you just blend in? Or does the Spirit of God really shine through you. Have you ever been told, "You know, there's something about you!" Or "I feel so comfortable talking to you," or "I knew you were Christian! (with positive intent)" If you don't stand out for more than the clothes you wear; where is God? God is bold, He stands out, He wants to me known by those in your life- through you.

(3) To symbolize a sharp break with the hypocrisy of the religious leaders who preferred their luxurious homes and positions of authority over doing God's work.
Christians are called horrible names nowadays. It saddens my heart really, but it's partly due to living hypocritical and judgmental lives. How do you (or plan to) make that sharp break between the religious and those in a daily, all day, every day relationship with God?
John distinguished himself by the clothes he wore as well. He made sure his clothes weren't what established or defined him. Because that was and is God's role.
I'm not in any way saying- "don't look good." I love style! But how important is it to you? Are you thinking about what you're going to wear before you go to bed and first thing when you wake up in the morning? What are your motives for spending so much time on that decision? And when is God finally on your mind? He should be first, last and all in-between. His presence and glory in your life should define you.
I can testify to putting these type of concerns in God's hands; most of the time, I get a thought of what to wear while praying or reading the Word. True story! I thank God and move on. Once I have it, it's a done deal. But trust me, I know the consequences of not allowing it to be a done deal! I go through more outfits than necessary, ending up in the original idea anyway;yet I've wasted time- I can't eat or read the word, if I've decided to do it after I shower (this is why it's best for me to read the word first). Or I'm in something I hate the second I step out the door. I know I can trust God in all things, even in what I wear. I don't have to be concerned about it, so that I can be concerned about His business.
You feel me?

(4) It fulfilled Old Testament prophecy.
Your true commitment to an honest relationship with God, fulfills your purpose. Trust me I go through the thoughts and questions: what is it I'm suppose to be doing, what am I suppose to be, what is the purpose in my life. But these questions come last to what my first purpose is, which is to serve the LORD Almighty. When we concentrate on this first and always- everything else falls into place.
God calls us to keep our eyes on Him, not on our careers, the desire to be married, have kids or whatever else is on your mind.

This is why John is really speaking to me in this first chapter and verses of Mark. The purpose of John's preaching (which was in him, even when he was in his mother's womb: Luke 1:40) was to prepare people to accept Jesus as God's Son. When John challenged the people to confess sin individually (without animal sacrifice), he signaled the start of a new way to relate to God.

Is change needed in your life before you can hear and understand Jesus' message? Well, you have to admit that you need forgiveness from Him before you can accept any change He wants to do in you. To prepare to receive Christ, you have to repent. Determine and make a commitment to STOP doing what God clearly states is against Him. Denounce the world's dead-end attractions, sinful temptations, and harmful attitudes. Doesn't mean you won't be tempted, you may fall into temptation, you may make a mistake. But where is your heart? Do you continue to live in that mistake or return to God?

-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT! DARE TO STAND OUT FOR THE GOD YOU SERVE.

**********************************************************************
Prayer: I stand in awe of You, Holy God to Whom ALL praise is due. I thank You for transforming us into Your beautiful likeness and for delivering us from a stubborn struggle to align ourselves to a fading culture (Jeremiah 9:24). Your culture is the only everlasting culture. Help us to stand for You at all times, spreading the love You have for us to one another. By this; not judgment, not by boasting about ourselves, not by good works alone - but by love and by Your Spirit, will all men know that we are Your disciples (1 Corinthians 15:58). Praise You Jesus. I'm so thankful John the Baptist prepared the way for such a glorious, yet humble King. In Your name we pray. Amen
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Through God's mercy I have this ministry, I will not lose heart... I do not preach myself, but Jesus Christ as LORD and myself as the servant of the people for Jesus' sake." 2 Corinthians 4:1,5

Scripture from The Bible (biblegateway.com), Prayer from NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition (D. Boone) & The Divine Mentor, by Wayne Cordeiro. Study notes from Life Application Study Bible


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment