Friday, October 9, 2009

TGN: Baptized...

Prayer: LORD, You're altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me. Show me how to remain alert from all attacks of the enemy, to be prepared and refuse to allow anything to keep me earth bound; to resist the devil in all ways. For You call me to a higher place. Show me how to rejoice in my sufferings and to not be distracted by them. The customs of this world are worthless. And therefore, LORD, I choose to submit to Your ways. It's only by Your power, Your wisdom, and Your understanding that I make it through and to another day. Our life is not our own, it is not for me to direct my steps-but for You. Correct me LORD, direct me LORD, through every word I read today and every day. In Jesus' name. Amen
--------------------------------------------------------------

www.biblegateway.com
PREPARATION OF JESUS, THE KING

Mark 1 v. 1-5,7-8 *part 3*(NLT)
Emphasis on v. 4-8

John the Baptist Prepares the Way

4 This messenger was John the Baptist. He was in the wilderness and preached that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven. 5 All of Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John. And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River...
7 John announced: "Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am— so much greater that I'm not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of his sandals. 8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!"

----
Although John was the first genuine prophet in 400 years, Jesus the Messiah would be infinitely greater than he. John was pointing out how insignificant he was compared to the One who was coming, when he "announced: 'Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am— so much greater that I'm not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of his sandals' (v.7). What John began, Jesus finished. What John prepared, Jesus fulfilled

In John's ministry, baptism was a visible sign that a person had decided to change his or her life, giving up a sinful or selfish way of living and turning to God. John took a known custom and gave it new meaning. The Jews often baptized non-Jews who had converted to Judaism. But to baptize a Jew as a sign of repentance was a radical departure from Jewish custom. The early church, and today, baptism is associated with Jesus' death and resurrection.

John said Jesus would baptize them with the Holy Spirit, sending the Holy Spirit to live within each believer. John's baptism with water prepared a person to receive Christ's message. This baptism demonstrated repentance, humility, and willingness to turn from sin. This was the BEGINNING of the spiritual process.

When Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit, however, the entire person is transformed by the Spirit's power- they don't have to feel it; it's not about feelings. It's about receiving, believing and allowing the Spirit to work in every part of our lives. Jesus offers to us both forgiveness of sin and the power to live for Him.


-WHAT'S KEEPING YOU FROM TAKING JESUS UP ON HIS OFFER?

Those who have accepted Jesus' offer:
-ARE YOU ALLOWING THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT TO TRANFORM YOU?

**********************************************************************
Prayer: Thank You Jesus for the gift of the Holy Spirit. LORD, I welcome the power of Your Spirit to transform me from the inside out, into the person You created me to be. I pray that each of us, who come to The Good News daily, may stand firm in all Your Will, mature and fully assured (Colossians 4:12). I bless You LORD, You are great. In Jesus' name. Amen
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Through God's mercy I have this ministry, I will not lose heart... I do not preach myself, but Jesus Christ as LORD and myself as the servant of the people for Jesus' sake." 2 Corinthians 4:1,5

Scripture from The Bible (biblegateway.com), Prayer from NIV Women's Devotional Bible- Classic Edition (D. Boone) & The Divine Mentor, by Wayne Cordeiro. Study notes from Life Application Study Bible


www.thegoodnews4yourlife.blogspot.com "Providing you with what you already have access to in the most convenient way. So that we all can continue to grow in wisdom & understanding of God." LT

No comments:

Post a Comment