Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Compassion and Sensitivity

Hi- It is on my heart to stress that we all continue to learn the Word.  No matter how much you think you know, there is always more to learn.  There are secrets in the Word that God wants You to know.  But it's up to YOU to desire to know them, search, study, learn, retain and implement into your life.
You can do it!
Love-LT
P.S.  If you have any questions regarding the Clean v. Unclean section, please feel free to contact me and we can discuss.

NY- There is Bible Study at my apt tonight, if you would like details feel free to hit me up.

PRAYER: Thank You for continuing to encourage my spirit LORD!  You are so good; You know exactly what I need and when I need it.  Thank You for showing me that You ARE with me every step of the way and that I can depend and trust in You at ALL times.  Open my eyes and my spirit to what I have so casual accepted, that is of this world and not of you-and correct me.  Forgive me for not standing guard and protecting my heart.  I'm so thankful that You continue to protect me, without You-I would be lost.  Thank You for Your Son, Jesus.  In His might name.  Amen.

MATTHEW 15: 21-28

THE FAITH OF THE CANAANITE WOMAN:
PLEASE READ THE VERSES DIRECTLY FROM THE BIBLE: 
These verses may be broken up to discuss each point

(v.21-28) Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon possession." Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."  
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
The woman came and knealt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." 
"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."
Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted."  And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

God is so good!  I've read these verses so many times and I never got what Jesus and the Canaanite woman were talking about... And today it hit me.  Finally!  It was totally like reading Japanese and all of sudden it was in English. LOL  

Let me share it with you: The Canaanite woman is not a Jew (Israel), therefore she was separated from them.  DOG was a term the Jews commonly applied to Gentiles (non-Jews) because the Jews considered these pagan people no more likely than dogs to receive God's blessing.  How harsh is that?  Jesus was not disregarding the woman by using this term, He was reflecting the Jews' attitude so as to contrast it with His own.  I believe He was teaching his disciples and anyone else around Him, His true message-which was that He was here to share God's message with ALL people.  And in the midst of it all, Jesus was testing this woman's faith.  The woman did not argue, I believe she had great faith and her desire to save her daughter was so strong that NOTHING was going to stop her from getting to Jesus.  Using Jesus' choice of words, she agreed to be considered a dog as long as she could receive God's blessing for her daughter.  Ironically, many Jews would lose God's blessing and salvation because they rejected Jesus, and many Gentiles would find salvation because they recognized and accepted Him.

v. 24 "He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.' "- Jesus words do not contradict the truth that God's message is for all people (Psalm 22:27; Isaiah 56:7; Matthew 28:19, Romans 15:9-12).  After all, when Jesus said these words, He was in Gentile territory on a mission to Gentile people.  He ministered to Gentiles on many other occasions also.  Jesus was simply telling the woman that Jews were to have the first opportunity at this time to accept Him as the Messiah because God wanted them to present the message of salvation to the rest of the world (Genesis 12:3).  Jesus was not rejecting the Gentile woman.  He was teaching a lesson to all around Him.  And the woman was not dull, she got it!

The disciples asked Jesus to get rid of the woman because she was bothering them with her persistent begging.  They showed no compassion for her or sensitivity to her needs. It is possible to become so occupied with spiritual matters that we become oblivious to the needs around us.  This may be true especially if we are prejudiced against needy people or if they cause us inconvenience.  Instead of being annoyed, be aware of the opportunities that surround you, and make an effort to look for ways to minister to others.   I have to admit I struggle with this in the streets of New York.  But I will begin to pray over opportunity and look for it.  Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much, if I wasn't meant to help in some way.  Just a thought...

PONDER THIS:
WHO DON'T YOU SHOW COMPASSION OR SENSITIVITY TO?

ACTION:
LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE OTHERS TODAY AND MAKE IT A GOOD HABIT IN YOUR LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment