Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Proof Do You Need?

I cannot exclaim enough that God is real and He is real good.  Trust Him.  What are you scared of?
Love-LT

PRAYER: (Psalm 139O LORD, You have searched me and You know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O LORD.  Thank You for laying Your hand upon me.  I cannot escape Your presence and I'm grateful.  You are my Protector.  You have created my inmost being;  You knit me together in my mother's womb. And I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful.  All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.  There is purpose in my life.  Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way of everlasting.  In Jesus name, I live to serve You.  Amen.

MATTHEW 16: 1-4

THE DEMAND FOR A SIGN: 
(v.1-4) The Pharisees and Sadducess came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven. He replied, "When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,' and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away.

I absolutely love how Jesus doesn't entertain foolishness.  He speaks the Truth and moves on.  The Pharisee and Sadducees were Jewish religious leaders of two different parties, and their views were diametrically opposed on many issues.  The Pharisees carefully followed their religious rules and traditions, believing that this was the way to God.  They also believed in the authority of all Scripture and in the resurrection of the dead.  The Sadducees accepted only the books of Moses as Scripture and did not believe in life after death.  In Jesus, however, these two groups had a common enemy, and they joined forces to try to kill Him.  It's so interesting how easy it is for humans to come together to hate someone or hate on something.  But when it's to unite and to change for the better, all people see is work- or they deem it to be someone else's job.
The Pharisees and Sadducees demanded a sign "from heaven."  They tried to explain away Jesus' other miracles as sleight of hand, coincidence, or us of evil power, but they believed that only God could do a sign in the sky.  This, they were sure, would be a feat beyond Jesus' power.  Although Jesus could have easily impressed them, He refused.  He knew that even a miracle in the sky would not convince them He was the Messiah because they had already decided not to believe in Him.  By using the sign of Jonah, who was inside a great fish for three days, Jesus was predicting His death and resurrection.  Remember this when someone wants to question your faith.  There is no point to get into arguments about it.  If their mind is made up that you are wrong, and you will know this spirit is on them.  Simply, take Jesus example- state the Truth and move on.  The Word will do the work by the Spirit of God.
Many people, like the Jewish leaders, say they want to see a miracle so that they can believe.  But Jesus knew that miracles never convince the skeptical.  Jesus had been healing, raising people from the dead, and feeding thousands, and still people wanted Him to prove Himself.  Do you doubt Christ because you haven't seen a miracle?  Do you expect God to prove Himself to you personally before you believe?  Jesus says, "... blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed" (John 20:29).  We have miracles recorded in the Old and New Testaments, 2,000 years of church history, and the witness of thousands.  If you know me personally, you have seen the hand of God in my life, when I have chosen to trust Him.  With all of this evidence, those who won't believe are either too proud or too stubborn.  If you simply step forward in faith and believe, then you will begin to see the miracles that God can do in your life!

PONDER THIS:
WHAT IS KEEPING YOU FROM BELIEVING AND TRUSTING IN GOD?

ACTION:
TAKE THAT ONE STEP IN FAITH AND BELIEVE! CRY OUT TO GOD, HE WILL HEAR YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment